Transactional Email - The Basics
Send transactional email via the SMTP relay or via the JangoMail API.
- Relay your transactional emails through relay.jangosmtp.net. You can authenticate by IP Address or by SMTP Username/Password (SMTP AUTH).
- Our SMTP server analyzes your email, disassembles it, adds in open and click tracking mechanisms, and adds in DomainKeys/DKIM signatures.
- Our SMTP server then re-assembles your email and passes it to a high performance SMTP server for sending to your recipient.
- Login to your account to view statistics on emails sent, opens, and clicks. You can also view SMTP log files.
- Connect to the JangoMail API and use SendTransactionalEmail to send transactional email. There is a test form for the SendTransactionalEmail method that can be used to send test transactional emails, and a technical specification for this method. Benefit from DomainKeys/DKIM signatures and open and click tracking when you send through the JangoMail API.
Transactional Emails via SMTP
For detailed instructions on how to configure your email system to send via the JangoSMTP relay, see our SMTP service tutorials:
- PDF Tutorial: Configuring Your Email with JangoSMTP
- PDF Tutorial: Configuring DomainKeys/DKIM with JangoSMTP
- PDF Tutorial: Setting up Sender Policy Framework (SPF) Records with JangoSMTP
- PDF Tutorial: Transactional Groups
- On-Site Tutorial: Configuring iPhone with JangoSMTP
- On-Site Tutorial: Configuring SendBlaster with JangoSMTP
- On-Site Tutorial: Configuring Magento with JangoSMTP
- On-Site Tutorial: Configuring Eudora with JangoSMTP
- On-Site Tutorial: How to Join the Return Path Certification Program
- Video Tutorials:
Transactional Emails via API
- Using the JangoMail API to Send Transactional Emails
- Using the JangoSMTP Event-Triggered API to Sync Transactional Email Data with Your System
back to top
- Open Tracking - allows you to see who has opened your email
- Click Tracking - see who has clicked a link in your email, what links have been clicked most often, and on what browsers
- DomainKeys / DKIM Signing - emails are signed with DomainKeys/DKIM, fostering greater trust of you as a sender by ISPs
- SPF / SenderID Authentication - setup SenderID/SPF to prevent spammers from spoofing your domain and to ensure the highest deliverability possible
- Feedback Loops with ISPs - reporting shows you which recipients at ISPs like Yahoo, Hotmail, and AOL are complaining about your emails, and automatically suppresses those recipients from receiving future emails
- Unparalleled Email Deliverability - Completely customizable settings, including SPF, SenderID, and DomainKeys, to ensure the highest email deliverability possible. Optionally enroll in Return Path's Certification Program (formerly Sender Score Certified/Bonded Sender) and have your email sent through whitelisted servers
- Google Analytics - track all web site activity resulting from a transactional email campaign using JangoSMTP's integration with Google Analytics
- Geotracking - track where in the world a user opens or clicks with our Google Maps geotracking report
- Unsubscribe Management - add an unsubscribe link to your emails, and JangoSMTP captures unsubscribes and suppresses these recipients from future emails. Just link to http://x.jtrk93.net/u.z?***uniqueid****. The ***uniqueid**** part will be automatically replaced by JangoSMTP to represent a unique identifier for the recipient. Further, you can brand the domain used by setting a Tracking Domain in your account.
- Bounce Management - JangoSMTP tracks invalid email addresses and prevents your account from sending to these addresses again, which ensures high deliverability
- Access SMTP Log files to confirm delivery - view SMTP log files in real-time on a per-recipient basis
- All encoding schemes supported - Base 64, 8 bit, 7 bit, and quoted-printable encoding schemes are supported
- Grouping of transactional emails for ease of reporting - for ease of reporting, separate different types of transactional email into different groups
- Automatic Plain Text and HTML message generation - for web programmers, set the one MIME part, and set the other to "auto-generate", and JangoSMTP will generate a corresponding MIME part based on the part that was provided
- Web Service API to send email and retrieve reporting information - for programmers, an API is available at http://api.jangomail.com to retrieve and set JangoSMTP account information, send emails, and access reporting stats
- Event API - email events (sends, opens, clicks, bounces, unsubscribes, and complaints) can trigger a call to your web service and easily sync transactional email data with your own database
- Authentication Options - authenticate into relay.jangosmtp.net either by your IP Address or by using SMTP-AUTH, passing in your account username/password
- Smart Hosts - send transactional email messages through your own servers using JangoSMTP's interface, features, and functionality
- Usage Restrictions - restrict who can use the SMTP relay by From Address
- Q: What are transactional emails?
A: Transactional emails are single-recipient emails that facilitate a transaction between the sender and the recipient. Examples of transactional emails are order confirmations, appointment reminders, "be my friend" requests on social networking sites, and regular person to person emails.
- Q: I'm using JangoSMTP. Can I also use the JangoMail API?
A: Yes. You can use both the SMTP relay and API interchangeably. You can send emails and pull reports via the SMTP interface or via the API at any time.
- Q: What's the difference between JangoSMTP and other hosted SMTP transactional email services?
A: JangoSMTP is the only SMTP service that can show you who opened your email, who clicked a URL in your email, what URLs they clicked, and so on. Our SMTP relay is designed for office users and email marketers.
- Q: My ISP blocks port 25. Can I still use JangoSMTP?
A: Absolutely. You can connect to relay.jangosmtp.net on port 25, 2525, and 587. You can also connect securely over SSL/TLS on port 465.
- Q: Do I have to use the tracking capabilities?
A: No, you do not. By default, they are turned on, but you can turn open and click tracking off by logging in, and changing the appropriate settings.
- Q: What do you mean when you list Grouping as one of the features?
A: Grouping allows you to setup different groups for different types of transactional emails. This is useful for email marketers that send different types of transactional email. For example, you might have a "Order Confirmation" group, a "Shipping Notifications" group, and a "We saved your shopping card for you" group. You can then see statistics on your emails on a per-group basis.
- Q: What are SMTP logs?
A: SMTP logs show the communication between our email server and the recipient email server. SMTP logs are available in JangoSMTP's reporting, for techies who want to see the server level communication in real-time.
- Q: What is open and click tracking?
A: Open and click tracking allows you to see who has opened an email and who has clicked a URL in an email. Open tracking works by inserting a small invisible image into the bottom of your email. Click tracking works by modifying any URLs slightly so that we can track when they're clicked.
- Q: My email application sends emails encoded in base 64. Will it still work with JangoSMTP?
A: Yes. JangoSMTP supports all major encoding schemes, including base 64, 7 bit, and quoted-printable.
- Q: I have several sites on different domains and different servers. Can I send all mail for these sites through one account?
A: Yes. If you'd like to send email from multiple domains and servers through one account you may do so through both the SMTP relay and API. You can view reporting for these domains separately by setting up Transactional Groups. Unsubscribes and bounces are managed on an account-wide basis though.
- Q: I noticed that there's a site called JangoMail at www.jangomail.com, and then there's this site, JangoSMTP. What's the
difference between JangoSMTP and JangoMail?
A: JangoMail is a full-blown email marketing platform, designed for sending broadcast email campaigns and transactional email. JangoMail includes the functionality of JangoSMTP. JangoSMTP is just the SMTP service and transactional email API, and does not have all the features of JangoMail.
- Open Tracking
- Click Tracking
- DomainKeys/DKIM Signing
- SenderID/SPF Compliance
- Access to SMTP Log Files
- API to Access Reporting Data
- Group Different Types of Emails
- Send via SMTP or API